Sunday, December 12, 2010

NORA KASTEN Artist Oil Painting "A White Rose"

"A White Rose"

© Nora Kasten
Oil painting on textured canvas  (30"x15") From the archives SOLD

"This past week has not been the best for me but certainly not a terrible time either.  Actually, some very good breakthroughs have happened to me.  

Last Sunday my friend Ellen and I went to the Naples Museum of Art.  Two of the three major exhibits really spoke to me and believe me, it was a wonderful feeling.  Now, if that wasn't enough wonderment (if there is such a word) Ellen told me about a book that Myra Daniels, the woman who is responsible for the great art center that we have here in Naples,  has authored a book and I could get it in the gift shop.  I bought the book and as I was paying for it the lady told me Myra was in the Daniels Pavilion and knew she would be happy to autograph my copy.

Ellen and I rushed right over there (in the rain) and low and behold we opened the door to hear music, beautiful music.  It was the children's (maybe 10 to 14 year olds) orchestra of strings and they were magnificent!  The usher said we could wait until the end of the concert for Myra to sign my book.  When she realized how happy we were to be there, the usher seated us in the front row and we were allowed to enjoy two more works by those talented young people.  Afterwards, Myra Daniels most graciously signed my book.  She is a widow also.

The book, pictured below, was a perfect read for me and I finished it in two days.  I learned that this little lady went to Indiana State University and also started her advertising career in Terre Haute, Indiana.  I grew up in Terre Haute, Indiana so I was familiar with all the places and people she mentions.  But, what I really gleaned from her book was her knowing and trusting her Inner Voice to lead her on her path, right from the beginning because of a wise grandmother.  I am encouraged anew and most grateful to this woman.

I don't want to end the blog today without telling you that several days ago I painted over an old canvas (24"x48"x2") the color lavender in acrylic paint.  Not everyday but most days I have put on a few paint swipes in different colors with the brush and also the knife.  It is not pretty but I can at least say I'm painting."




GOOD NEWS!     My son, Jett, is still on the mend.  He's getting stronger from the surgeries and the cyst in his left leg is slowly going down. . . . .  you all have to know how very much I appreciate your prayers and concern for him and hope you will continue to lift him up along with me.  

6 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Good afternoon Nora, what a lovely, reflective post. I am so glad you had such a wonderful time listening to the children sing and getting the book signed. Keeping you and Jett in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you both.

Elizabeth Chapman said...

I'm glad to hear your still painting. Hope to see this one with the lavender paint!

Susan Roux said...

Hi Nora, so sorry I missed your call. Maybe We'll connect this morning...

Paint on a canvas!YEAH! So happy you've started to push some paint around. You know how much that means to me.

Blessings and hugs.

Gilberto said...

Merry Christmas and Loads of inspiration for 2011

billspaintingmn said...

"White Rose" is a beautiful painting Nora!
I'm glad to hear you are inspired by music and farmiliar places.
Lets keep Jett in our prayers. I hope for a complete recovery!

Kevin Mizner said...

Merry Christmas Nora! It was my pleasure meeting you this fall. Here's to a marvelous 2011!